Ta-Da

Sort of anyway. I’ve tried different ways of smoothing my print. The first attempt was with a 2 part chemical that you mix and apply to 3D prints. It is specifically designed for that. But I kept losing my brush after using it even after washing it my brush bristles still ended up hardening. I also couldn’t really see the results properly until I later added a layer of spray paint. Sine this green filament is a bit translucent I can’t always see all the details or issues. But I could see them clearly once I had the covered in paint.

Another problem in my printing was the artifacts that were created on the bottom of each piece. Parts of the supports or building plate I just couldn’t entirely get off. The results were that once the arms and head were inserted to the body there would always be a slight gap. Since this whole endeavor started with one of my epochs of hyper focus and newfound excitement for vinyl or designer toys I felt really upset about these little gaps. I kept looking at references and my own action figures hoping to find similar issues and general imperfections. Alas there were little to none. Granted the figures and references I was looking at were professionally and massed produced and their prototypes were either sculpted or printed with a resin printer or some high end 3D printer…I seem to have a bit of a perfectionist personality. My first solution to the gaps or general roughness was to try air drying sculpting clay. Which worked well but it was difficult to work with. I had also bought Plasticine to use for mold making but didn’t use it properly at first. My first silicone mold was also a failure I managed to mix the silicone correctly but cast the 3D part the wrong way around and couldn’t get it out of the silicone without breaking it. Which is probably for the best since I had a ways to go on smoothing my figure. My thinking at the time was I would mold and cast the parts fix and smooth those pieces into a finished prototype and then make copies from there.

The country went into lock down before I ordered any more silicone which is probably better. It made me look at other ways of finishing my figure. A popular method I found online for the filament type I was using was using nail polish. On person used some kind primer and spray paint in layers to get a good result so I ended up doing something similar.

I started with a layer of spray paint my tortoise shell pieces I had coated with the chemical showed good results but also showed where I missed. Adding the paint was a good idea it immediately brought me a little closer to what I had in mind. I then added layers of different kinds of nail polish and two layers of spray paint in between.

I’m still not at that “this could totally be a professionally produced toy” look but I am at “that totally looks like a real toy from a distance” look.

My grandpa used to do woodwork and tinkering and electronics in his garage before he got a little too old. When my dad was young he made him a wooden airplane. I also wanted one once I saw it and so my gramps made one for me and one for my sister. It’s come in real handy a couple of times when I needed an airplane prop for the

Flying Tortoise